Discover the multitude of outdoor adventures and attractions in Gilbert, nestled in the Sonoran Desert, and plan your trip with our list of must-visit places and activities.
The Fab Five in Gilbert
- The Riparian Preserve occupied first place in the ranking. The National Audubon Society has designated the 110-acre Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch as an “Important Bird Area,” making it ideal for bird watching with its nearly 300 bird species. It also has seven water recharge basins that serve the town’s future needs. The preserve also hosts native desert wildlife, and its 4.5 miles of trails welcome hikers, bikers, runners, horseback riders, and wildlife enthusiasts.
- Gilbert, recognized as a “Bicycle Friendly Community,” boasts the Central Trail System with 135 miles of bike trails, on and off-road, and over 50 miles of marked paths connecting key spots and major parks, ideal for pitstops and post-ride picnics. The system also links with the Sun Circle and Maricopa Trail systems for extended rides.
- The Heritage District, also known as Downtown Gilbert, exudes a quaint small-town atmosphere infused with exciting activities. Visitors can relish exceptional dining choices, live entertainment, bars, and an arcade, making it an ideal place to create lasting memories with family and friends. With ample open-air patio dining options, guests can savor their meals while basking in the pleasant Arizona weather. To discover more of downtown’s highlights, one can explore the Heritage District itinerary.
- Agritopia, a Gilbert neighborhood, offers a unique blend of modern village living with 11 acres of urban farmland. The area features tree-lined sidewalks, a renowned chef-driven restaurant showcased on the Food Network, charming shops, and delightful houses. At the heart of the community is urban agriculture, and visitors can enjoy free tours of Agritopia Farm every third Wednesday of the month at 10 a.m., rain or shine.
- A must-visit on any Gilbert getaway is SanTan Village, an open-air shopping haven offering a mix of well-known retailers, charming local boutiques, and excellent dining options. Beyond shopping, visitors can enjoy various entertainment choices and indulge in delightful desserts at places like Kids Empire, Harkins movie theater, Honeymee, and Frost Gelato.
Gilbert offers… what else?
Just a short 30-mile journey to the east of Gilbert awaits a mesmerizing desert landscape of majestic mountains, sculpted canyons, and vast hiking trails. The Superstition Wilderness Area, once shaped by volcanic activity, now offers some of the area’s most exceptional hiking experiences.
Families favor the Peralta Trail for its stunning vistas and ease of access, while thrill-seekers are enticed by the more daring features of Siphon Draw.