Social Security Administration decided to pay two SSI payments in December and one of them is going to be paid in 19 days to millions of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients and these payments would be worth up to $914 for individual filers.
The first round of this payment would be paid on December 1, 2023 and the second round will be paid on December 29,2023. The reason behind this double payment scheme is a kink in the administration’s calendar. The second payment may be delayed and shifted to January because of weekends on December 30 and 31.
The qualification for this payment is decided to be as following-
- The recipients must be of at least 65 and should meet certain financial requirements.
- The recipients who are under the age of 65 can also be eligible if the person is partially blind or have a physical or mental disability.
- Children who are eligible for SSI payments are the one who are partially blind or have a physical or mental disability.
- The children whose parents do not receive any SSI benefit can also receive the payment if they have limited income and savings.
- The maximum benefits of this SSI payment depends on how the filers file for the benefits.
For individuals, the maximum rate for payment is $914 per month. The maximum rate for eligible couples is $1,371 per month. And the person who live with the one who already receives SSI payment and is considered to be essential person will receive the payment of $458 per month.
It is not necessary that every recipient will receive the maximum amount, it depends on the personalised estimate through the SSA’s calculator.
This monthly benefit amount is expected to rise by 3.2% by next year according to the administration. This increase will be seen in every kind of SSI payments with same percentage.