Au Pair Charged Months After Fatal Shooting and Stabbing in Virginia Home

According to officials, a 23-year-old au pair was detained and charged in connection with a homicide at a family’s house in Virginia.

According to Fairfax County Police Lt. Erin Weeks, the arrest comes after a nearly seven-month investigation that is still ongoing. Juliana Peres Magalhaes of Brazil is accused of fatally shooting 39-year-old Joseph Ryan on February 24 in a Fairfax County house.

According to authorities, Peres Magalhaes has been charged with second-degree murder and is being held without bond at the county’s adult detention centre.

Christine Banfield, 37, was also found in the home with stab wounds to the upper torso, according to authorities. Banfield was pronounced dead at a hospital later that day.

According to Weeks, police have not identified a suspect in relation with Banfield’s death. However, all people engaged in the event have been identified, according to Weeks, and there is no ongoing threat to the community.

“This is an extremely active investigation.” “We’re keeping all options open,” Weeks remarked during the press conference. “Our big thing is continuing to interview people, continuing to review all digital and forensic evidence, and learn how Christine Banfield was fatally stabbed.”

What happened on February 24th?

According to Weeks, Fairfax County Police officers responded to a 911 call just after 8 a.m. on Feb. 24 after Peres Magalhaes stated that “a friend of hers was hurt.” According to investigators, another individual, later identified as Banfield’s husband, was heard on the phone stating that he had shot an unknown male who had entered his home and stabbed his wife.

Weeks stated that when cops got to the Banfield residence, “they found a horrific scene.”

According to authorities, Banfield was discovered in an upstairs bedroom with several stab wounds to her upper body, and Ryan was discovered nearby with gunshot wounds to his upper body. Banfield’s 4-year-old daughter was also present at the time of the murders but was not physically hurt.

According to authorities, Banfield was subsequently taken to a nearby hospital and pronounced dead. Ryan was pronounced dead at the scene.

According to Weeks, further inquiry revealed that there were no traces of forced entry into the Banfield’s home and that Banfield’s spouse was “outside of the home” when the murders occurred.


Leave a Comment