Days After An Immigrant Attacked NYPD Police, Only One Suspect Remained In Custody While 4 Others Were Released

Only one suspect is being detained in the nearly two weeks following the attack on two New York City police officers by a group of migrants; four other suspects were apprehended, and released without bond, and their locations are still unknown.

Days After An Immigrant Attacked NYPD Police, Only One Suspect Remained In Custody While 4 Others Were Released

Days after the events on January 27, when two NYPD policemen trying to break up a crowd in Times Square were repeatedly kicked and pummelling during a battle on the ground, Yohenry Brito, 24, was taken into custody. He’s still incarcerated on Rikers Island.

Officers detained four individuals shortly after the altercation: Yorman Reveron, 24, Darwin Andres Gomez-Izquiel, 19, Wilson Juarez, 21, and Kelvin Servita Arocha, 19.

A short while later, all four were freed, which infuriated police officers and certain city authorities.

The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office declared on Thursday that it had obtained indictments against seven individuals.

There are two counts of second-degree assault and hindering governmental administration against Arocha, Gomez-Izquiel, and Reveron. Juarez faces accusations of tampering with tangible evidence and impeding the legal process. He is charged with switching jackets with another suspect in order to confuse detectives.

Of the allegations that have been made public, Brito is the most charged. He is accused of two counts of second-degree assault, obstructing government administration, tampering with physical evidence, and impeding prosecution. Brito also seemed to fight with ground-level officials.

The DA’s office withheld the identities of the two more indicted parties and the allegations against them. On Thursday, the attack’s bodycam and street camera footage was made public by the authorities.

There were rumours that Gomez-Izquiel, Juarez, Arocha, and Reveron had escaped to California after being freed from police custody. The group recently escaped to California after providing false identities to a nonprofit organisation that transports migrants, a law enforcement source told the New York Post. Since then, U.S. Customs and Border Patrol have filed warrants for the guys.

“Over the last several days, there have been rumours that the four individuals above left the City and were taken into custody by federal authorities,” the DA’s office said in a news release Thursday.

The DA claimed that the Department of Homeland Security notified New York authorities on Wednesday that the four individuals detained in Arizona had nothing to do with the case involving the two NYPD officers.

If the four New York migrants are taken into custody, a representative for Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s office will not comment on possible bail requests, stating that “we don’t discuss bail until Supreme Court arraignments.”

Eleven persons may have been engaged in the attack, according to the authorities. Officials stated that three more people are still unidentified in addition to the seven accused. Jhoan Boada, a 22-year-old suspect, was also detained later and was observed insulting reporters when he was freed. As the DA’s office looks into his purported role, he has not been charged.

The Police Benevolent Association president, Patrick Hendry, stated that the seven indictments signify nothing “until these people appear in a Manhattan courtroom.”

“Some might be thousands of miles away at this point. New York City police officers will apprehend those who fail to appear, but we shouldn’t have to,” he said in a statement. “They should be in jail. We don’t call it justice until they are all behind bars.”

Leave a Comment