I-10 Freeway in Los Angeles Set to Reopen Next Week, Announces Gov. Newsom

The I-10 motorway, which was destroyed by fire last weekend, will reopen on a revised schedule in Los Angeles. Gov. Gavin Newsom stated Thursday afternoon that the 10, a vital east-west artery for the city, will reopen by Tuesday.

Earlier this week, Newsom and Mayor Karen Bass stated that renovations would take between three and five weeks to complete.

“Our timeline has changed,” Newsom said at a press conference on Thursday, praising those who have been working to repair the damage for hastening the process.

Newsom stated that they have “doubled down” on staff, efforts, and supplies, with around 250 people currently working on motorway repairs. The governor predicted that the figure will rise.

According to Newsom, five lanes will be opened in each direction.

“Trucks, passenger vehicles in both ways will be moving again,” he told reporters.

Bass complimented the public for complying with officials’ recommendations to minimise traffic by taking the Metro or telecommuting, as well as avoiding off side streets and highways.

“The last few days have been difficult, but everyone has cooperated, and I would like to say thank you, thank you, thank you,” Bass was quoted as saying.

According to prior reports, the fire broke out beneath the I-10 just after midnight last Saturday, destroying multiple wooden pallets, trailers, and automobiles housed beneath the elevated motorway. The fire spewed heavy smoke and towering flames into the sky, posing a challenge to the more than 160 firemen who responded to extinguish the flames.

The out-of-control fire blazed for three hours and extended across the equivalent of six football fields before being quenched. Officials claimed that about 16 people who lived beneath the roadway were moved to shelters.

Leave a Comment