Man Is Rescued After Being Stuck In A San Diego Cliffside Crevasse For Days

In a spectacular rescue on Friday morning, crews freed a man who had been stuck for days in a crevice on a rocky cliff in San Diego.

After an hours-long rescue attempt that had to be abandoned overnight owing to a rising tide, the unidentified guy was eventually evacuated to safety after becoming trapped from the waist down inside a 12 to 18-inch hole.

Around 3:40 p.m. on Thursday, two teenagers walking along the edge of the cliff near Orchard Street and Cable Street heard a man yelling for aid. They dialled 911 right away, and the San Diego Fire Department (SDFD) arrived shortly after.

After spending many hours trying to assist the man, the Chula Vista Fire Department’s trench rescue technicians and the SDFD’s technical rescue team were forced to cease operations when the rising water made it impossible for them to carry out their mission.

To keep him warm over the night, the man was given blankets, heat packs, and electrolytes. At approximately 4:40 a.m. the following day, a special team of volunteer rescuers from the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department arrived. According to officials, the crew specialises in cave rescues.

The man didn’t seem hurt, but authorities claimed it was quite difficult to free him because of the small opening in which he was trapped.

The San Diego Union-Tribune stated that rescue workers were severely hampered by lightning and thunderous outbursts, intermittent rain, and strong winds.

When they started off again at nine in the morning, it took them a further two hours to free him.

After his right ankle was bandaged and he was flown from the site using a Stokes basket, he was moved to a stretcher and taken by ambulance to a hospital.

“Drowning was a concern for us last night,” Dan Eddy, the SDFD’s deputy chief of operations, told the San Diego Union-Tribune at midday on Friday, after the man was safely moved.

“We worked with our lifeguards, and with (the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) on trying to pick out our tides. Our tides showed us that it wasn’t going to go over his head the size of the surf,” he said. “But we did know that (water) was filling that bottom cavity cave where his legs were in between.”

The man’s exact length of stay in the hole and how he got there are unknown, according to the SDFD. According to some accounts, the man entered the cave on purpose to seek refuge, but Eddy was unable to confirm that, he told the San Diego-Union Tribune.

Leave a Comment