Miami Beach Is Putting A Stop To The Chaos Over Spring Break: Know More Here

Miami Beach officials are getting ready for spring break by enforcing strict regulations to ensure that the mayhem and disorderly conduct of the past is not repeated in 2024.

Miami Beach Is Putting A Stop To The Chaos Over Spring Break: Know More Here

Every year, hundreds of college students celebrate by flooding the beaches, bars, and nightclubs of Magic City; however, recent years have been tainted by violent crimes, shooting deaths, and other tragedies.

According to Miami Beach Police, there were two fatal shootings in Miami Beach last year, around 500 arrests, and the seizure of over 100 firearms. The shootings prompted the city to impose curfews.

The Miami Beach City Commission decided on Wednesday to implement several strict policies aimed at curbing the undesirable conduct. These policies included curfews at midnight and the closing of South Beach at 6 p.m. on the two weekends in March.

For individuals who breach the law, there will also be heavier penalties.

The Florida Highway Patrol and other local governments will be collaborating with Miami Beach to help patrol the city, officials stated, adding to the increased police presence this year.

“We’re shutting the door on spring break once and for all,” Commissioner Alex Fernandez said, according to NBC. “Lawlessness will not be tolerated in Miami Beach.”

Students moved to Florida during the 2021–2022 pandemic to take advantage of the state’s comparatively low COVID-19 regulations as well as affordable travel and lodging options. For police enforcement in the seaside communities around the state’s coast, these elements combined to create a perfect storm and a nightmare.

In 2022, the city enforced a midnight curfew after two shooting incidents that occurred on Ocean Drive. About 1,000 people were arrested in 2021, and dozens of firearms were seized by Miami Beach authorities in an effort to subdue unruly spring breakers.

This year, there will be fewer beach access points along Ocean Drive that are manned by security, and a towed car will set you back $516—double what it usually costs.

If other recommendations are put into action, possession of marijuana and careless conduct may also result in more severe fines.

According to the city, the $100 civil fine that was put in place to deter marijuana possession and consumption in public areas hasn’t worked, according to Infobae.

Commissioners are requesting that Miami-Dade County block off public access to the Venetian Causeway, according to NBC. In the meantime, license plate readers and DUI checkpoints will be put on the MacArthur and Julia Tuttle Causeways, reducing traffic to one lane.

During this year’s celebrations, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis also recognized the importance of maintaining law and order.

“Spring break is what it is, but it should not be impeding the functioning of businesses in the area,” DeSantis said, according to WSVN.

“It should not be impacting the quality of life of our residents. So, you have our support at the state level to do what you need to do to make sure the quality of life of your residents (is) maintained and order in the streets is maintained and businesses are able to function appropriately like they should.”

Not every local, though, supports the upcoming crackdown.

Vice president of Club M2 in Miami Beach Joey Morrissey expressed his concern that the limitations will backfire when big groups attempt to pass via South Beach.

“I believe it will hurt the town more if I’m not open. If these kids don’t have a place to go,” Morrissey told NBC.

“You can’t stop it. These kids booked hotel rooms, they’ve spent money, they’re coming here. Now you’re going to create the chaos.”

Leave a Comment