Pregnant woman hiding at Alabama fire station allegedly killed by man freed in woman’s 2008 slaying

A man is in custody for allegedly killing a woman who was eight weeks pregnant and hiding from him at an Alabama fire station Friday night in Russell County, officials said Sunday.

Bradley Wayne Stokes was arrested in Columbus, Ga. on Saturday around noon, according to a statement posted on the Facebook page on the Russell County Sheriff’s Office. According to the statement, Russell County Investigators, with the assistance of the Muscogee County Sheriff’s Office, arrested Stokes after “a short vehicle and foot chase.”

Stokes is charged with capital murder and is awaiting extradition to Russell County.

Russell County Sheriff Heath Taylor held a press conference about the arrest on Sunday morning, according to WTVM. During the conference, Taylor announced Stokes was found at a hotel in Columbus.

Authorities state Stokes was recently freed after serving 14 years of a 16-year prison sentence for federal gun charges and manslaughter. According to court records, Stokes in 2010 pleaded guilty in the 2008 shooting death of Crystal Lynn Bailey. The 21-year-old Phenix City woman was survived by her son, an obituary for Bailey states. Stokes, who was released from prison on June 2, allegedly began a romantic relationship with Treasure Hennessy, 37.

Closure of the Maternal Unit in the United States: Maternal Death and Poor Infant Health Possibly Rise

During the conference, Taylor stated his office is in possession of “at least two” domestic violence calls filed by Hennessy against Stokes in the last two months.

In late August, Hennessy reportedly moved out of Stokes’ address and was given permission to stay at the Fort Mitchell Fire Station as a “safe house” from Stokes. Taylor said authorities believe Stokes found out where Hennessy was staying.
Evidence shows, said Taylor, that on Sept. 1, Stokes was waiting in hiding for her to arrive at that location before an altercation occurred. On Sept. 2 around 12:15 a.m., the sheriff’s office received a phone call about a possible body at the fire department. The deputies responded and found a deceased body. The victim, Taylor said, was Hennessy.

Leave a Comment