“Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder Epidemiology” report has been added to DelveInsight
Neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder (NMOSD), also known as Devic disease, is a chronic disorder of the brain and spinal cord dominated by inflammation of the optic nerve (optic neuritis) and inflammation of the spinal cord (myelitis). Classically, it was felt to be a monophasic illness, consisting of episodes of inflammation of one or both optic nerves and the spinal cord over a short period (days or weeks) but, after the initial episode, no recurrence.
Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder Epidemiology: Geography Covered
- The United States
- EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom)
The characteristic symptoms of NMOSD are either optic neuritis or myelitis; either may occur as the first symptom. Optic neuritis is inflammation, of the optic nerve (optic neuritis) leading to pain inside the eye which rapidly is followed by loss of clear vision (acuity). Usually, only one eye is affected (unilateral) although both eyes may be involved simultaneously (bilateral). NMOSD may or may not be preceded by a prodromal upper respiratory infection.
For acute attacks, the standard treatment is high-dose intravenous corticosteroids, typically methylprednisolone. Plasma exchange may be effective in patients who experience acute severe attacks that do not respond to intravenous corticosteroids. For long-term suppression of the disease, a variety of immunosuppressive drugs are regarded by many clinicians as first-line therapy Symptom treatment may also involve the use of low doses of carbamazepine to control paroxysmal (sudden) tonic spasms that often occur during attacks of NMOSD and antispasticity agents to treat long term complication of spasticity that frequently develops in those with permanent motor deficits.
Greater than 95% of patients with NMOSD report no relatives with the disease, but approximately 3% report having other relatives with the condition. There is a strong association with a personal or family history of autoimmunity, which is present in 50% of cases. NMOSD is regarded as an autoimmune disease though the exact cause for the autoimmunity is unknown.
- According to the Orphanet, NMO has a worldwide distribution and an estimated prevalence of 1-2/100,000.
- According to the “National Organization for Rare Disorders”, the prevalence of NMOSD is approximately 1-10 per 100,000 individuals and seems to be similar worldwide, although somewhat higher rates have been reported in countries with a higher proportion of individuals of African ancestry.
- As per the National Organization for Rare Disorders, Individuals of any age may be affected, but typically NMOSD especially cases seropositive for AQP4-IgG, occur in late middle-aged women. Women, especially those with AQP4-IgG, are four or five times more likely to be affected than men by the recurring (relapsing) form.
- Total Prevalent Cases of Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder in 7MM (2018–2030)
- Age-specific Prevalence of Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder in 7MM (2018–2030)
- Gender-specific Prevalence of Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder in 7MM (2018–2030)
- Diagnosed Cases of Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder in 7MM (2018–2030)
- NMO-IgG Diagnosed Cases of Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder in 7MM (2018-2030)
Table of content
- Key Insights
- Executive Summary of Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder (NMOSD)
- Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder (NMOSD) : Disease Background and Overview
- Patient Journey
- Epidemiology and Patient Population
- Treatment Algorithm, Current Treatment, and Medical Practices
- KOL Views
- Unmet Needs
- DelveInsight Capabilities
- About DelveInsight
The objective of updating DelveInsight coverage is to ensure that it represents the most up-to-date vision of the industry possible. The DelveInsight is a fully integrated solution for comprehensive intelligence on various pharmaceutical products, both in the market and in the pipeline, across the globe.
Why should you buy this report?
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder (NMOSD) market
- Quantify patient populations in the global Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder (NMOSD) market to improve product design, pricing, and launch plans
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the age groups and sex that present the best opportunities for Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder (NMOSD) therapeutics in each of the markets covered
- Understand the magnitude of Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder (NMOSD) population by its epidemiology
- The Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder (NMOSD) Epidemiology Model developed by DelveInsight is easy to navigate, interactive with dashboards, and epidemiology based with transparent and consistent methodologies. Moreover, the model supports data presented in the report and showcases disease trends over 11-year forecast period using reputable sources
View Latest Reports
- Otitis Media Market
- Myotonic Dystrophy Market
- Medical Marijuana Market
- Hemodialysis Catheters Pipeline
- Hand foot syndrome/palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia syndrome Market
- Biotech Consulting
DelveInsight is a Business Consultant company and serves as a Knowledge partner across the value chain of the Pharmaceutical Industry. With the use of proprietary databases and analytical models, DelveInsight provides cutting-edge market and pipeline analysis and API intelligence across all therapy areas to the Pharma and biotech sector, helping clients to quantify market events and evaluate their impact on the valuation of products, portfolios, and companies.